Are you an experienced social services professional who loves working with youth and is looking for a new opportunity?
Kelowna Women’s Shelter seeks a coordinator for its Inside/Out Violence Prevention Program for Youth. The Coordinator plans, develops and ensures delivery of this interactive program which engages youth in identifying and addressing topics such as self-esteem and healthy relationships. The program seeks to end the cycle of abuse before it starts through multi-week, in-school groups, workshops and presentations led by the coordinator and practicum students the coordinator trains and supervises. Position requires superior organizational skills, a positive attitude and high energy, along with demonstrated success working with individuals from diverse backgrounds. Preference will be given to candidates with experience working with youth, running groups, and conducting training. Experience in the anti-violence sector an asset.
• A good working knowledge of family violence and its impacts, and of relevant community resources.
• The ability to provide service in a respectful, empathetic and client-centered manner while maintaining appropriate personal and professional boundaries.
• The ability to work independently and in a self-directing manner as well as the ability to work in a cooperative and collaborative manner with other Shelter staff, practicum students and community agencies.
• Proven effective public speaking and presentation skills.
• The ability to maintain necessary records and documentation, and to engage in the evaluation of the program and services.
• Valid BC Driver’s License, level one OFA, and satisfactory criminal record check.
• A bachelor’s degree in social work or a related human/social service field, and three years recent related experience, including one-year supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
1. Plan, develop and deliver program in consultation with supervisor.
2. Research other violence prevention programs, determine what strategies, methods, materials, and formats are linked to program success, and make
curriculum and program changes as necessary.
3. Maintain a familiarity with current youth issues and programs, and school district and community agency goals and objectives in order to ensure program relevancy and efficacy.
4. Maintain positive relations with, and promote practicum opportunities to, local post-secondary institutions in order to recruit, screen, interview and select candidates to deliver the program.
5. Orient, train and schedule program staff, volunteers and practicum students, and provide ongoing mentorship and support throughout program delivery.
6. Partner with post-secondary institutions to supervise and evaluate practicum students in accordance with their requirements and standards.
7. Develop and maintain positive relationships with schools and community agencies in order to promote the program, secure bookings, and facilitate delivery.
8. Work with management and other staff to research, develop and maintain new funding opportunities and funding relationships.
9. Liaise with other service agencies and professionals, and maintain current knowledge of issues and resources related to abuse and violence.
10. Provide presentations, and participate in public awareness activities, about the program, and issues related to family violence and relationship abuse and the difference between healthy and unhealthy relationships and choices.
11. Monitor and authorize program expenditures and maintain financial records in accordance with established procedures. Prepare program budget for review/approval by the supervisor and executive director.
12. Attend, and participate in, staff and other meetings.
13. Collect and compile program statistical information and evaluation data. Submit reports and evaluate the program in partnership with the supervisor.
14. Attend, and participate in, training/certification programs.
15. Perform other related duties as required
Submit resume and three professional references to [email protected] by August 29, 2018.